Should you outsource your printing process to a print management company?
The importance of effective and efficient printing solutions cannot be overstated. Whether it’s marketing materials, internal documents, or client communications, businesses of all sizes require high-quality printed materials. When it comes to meeting these printing needs, organisations often face a critical decision: should they invest in an in-house printing setup or opt for professional print management services?
Each option comes with its own set of advantages and considerations.
In-House Printing: Control and Convenience
- One of the primary advantages of in-house printing is the control it offers – By having your own printing equipment, you have the power to oversee the entire printing process. You can ensure that the output meets your specific requirements in terms of quality, colour accuracy, and paper stock. Moreover, having a printer at your disposal allows for quick turnarounds and the ability to make last-minute adjustments without relying on external parties.
- Additionally, in-house printing provides convenience – You can print documents on demand, eliminating the need to wait for external vendors to complete the job. This is particularly beneficial for time-sensitive materials or situations where frequent updates are required. With in-house printing, you have the flexibility to produce materials as and when you need them, reducing lead times and increasing overall efficiency.
- However, in-house printing is not without its drawbacks – First, there are significant upfront costs associated with purchasing printing equipment, maintenance, and supplies. Depending on your business’s printing needs, this investment can be substantial. Furthermore, as technology evolves rapidly, your equipment may become outdated sooner than expected, requiring additional investments to stay up to date.
- Another consideration is the expertise required to operate and maintain the printing equipment – Skilled personnel are necessary to ensure optimal performance and troubleshoot any issues that arise. Training employees or hiring dedicated staff can add to your operational expenses. Moreover, the personnel responsible for printing might need to divert their attention from other core tasks, affecting overall productivity.
Print Management: Efficiency and Expertise
Print management, on the other hand, involves outsourcing your printing needs to a professional service provider. These companies specialise in handling all aspects of the printing process, from design to production and delivery. By partnering with a print management company, you can leverage their expertise and industry knowledge, allowing you to focus on your core business operations.
- One of the key benefits of print management is cost-effectiveness – Instead of investing in expensive printing equipment, you pay for the services you require, saving on capital expenditure. Print management providers often have access to wholesale pricing on materials and can leverage economies of scale, resulting in lower costs per unit. Additionally, you eliminate ongoing maintenance expenses, as the service provider is responsible for keeping their equipment up to date and in good working condition.
- Another advantage of print management is access to a wide range of printing options – These companies typically have advanced equipment capable of producing high-quality materials in various formats and finishes. Whether you need brochures, business cards, or large banners, a print management service can handle it all. They can offer customisation options, such as variable data printing, to personalise each printed piece, providing a professional touch to your materials.
- Print management does have some potential drawbacks – One of the main concerns is the loss of control over the printing process. You rely on the service provider to deliver the desired quality and meet deadlines. While reputable print management companies have strict quality control measures in place, there is always a slight possibility of errors or miscommunication. Therefore, it is crucial to choose a reliable and trustworthy provider with a proven track record.
The decision between in-house printing and print management ultimately depends on your business’s specific needs and circumstances. Smaller businesses with occasional printing requirements may find it more cost-effective to outsource their printing needs to a professional service provider. On the other hand, larger organisations with high-volume and frequent printing needs may benefit from investing in their own printing equipment to maintain control and achieve quicker turnarounds.
CDP Print Management Services
We are problem solvers and we enjoy a challenge. No deadline is too tight, or the project is too big. We will simply roll up our sleeves and get on with it. Whatever your needs may be, our expert team and our Quality Guarantee will help you rest assured that when you call us we will make your life easier.